President's Awards recognize the extraordinary people at LHSC
December 12, 2016
At a special ceremony and reception on Dec. 9, LHSC’s President and CEO Murray Glendining and Board Chair Tom Gergely recognized 28 nominees and awarded seven individuals with a 2016 President’s Award.
“LHSC is home to many remarkable staff, physicians and volunteers who are committed to improving the lives of our patients, our hospital, and our community,” says Glendining. “I am honoured to offer my sincere congratulations to each of this year’s President’s Award nominees and recipients.”
Now in its tenth year, the President’s Award Program at LHSC celebrates staff, physicians and volunteers in a number of categories. This year the following awards were presented:
- The President's Award for Community Service recognizes an individual at LHSC whose volunteer achievements have made a difference to the lives of people in our community. Linda Kuska is a registered nurse in the Orthopedic Clinic at Victoria Hospital. She is being recognized for 17 years of involvement with the Rowbust Dragon Boat team and her leadership in bringing the Dragon Boat Festival to London.
- The President's Awards for Living Our Core Valuesrecognizes two individuals who consistently demonstrate LHSC’s values of respect, trust and collaboration – one focused on how we work together and the other on how we serve our patients:
- Sal Treesh was nominated by his colleagues for demonstrating our core values in “How We Work Together.” Sal is a Technologist on the Renal Program’s Biomedical Engineering team. His nomination speaks to his commitment and passion for his role, and his dedication to ensuring patients are receiving safe and efficient care when they need it, where they need it.
- Shirley Woodfield is a PSW in Clinical Neurosciences. Recognized for demonstrating LHSC’s core values in “How We Serve Our Patients,” Shirley is regarded as a patient, kind and compassionate ‘mother figure’ to both patients and her colleagues. Colleagues have nominated her for providing the “Shirley standard of care” which others now strive to emulate.
- The President's Award for Leadership recognizes an individual at LHSC who demonstrates leadership capabilities that make a significant difference to the effectiveness of our organization. Heidi Braaksma is the Coordinator, Regional and Speciality Services in the Mental Health Care Program. Heidi’s nomination, which highlights her superb mentorship and guidance of staff and her commitment to providing positive patient experiences, was supported by signatures from 39 colleagues.
- The President’s Award for Innovation recognizes an individual or team who has demonstrated innovation capabilities that have made a significant difference to the effectiveness of the organization. Dr. Brent Lanting and Dr. James Howard were co-nominated for this award for bringing an innovative surgical technique to patients in need of total hip replacement, using a direct anterior approach. This new method of hip replacement is resulting in faster and more effective recovery for patients, and often allows patients to return home following only an overnight stay in hospital, or in some cases, the same day.
- Established to honour the leadership legacy of the late Dr. Murray Girotti, the President’s Award for Physician Leadership annually recognizes a physician who demonstrates the leadership qualities he exemplified. Dr. Victoria Siu, whose practice spans 25 years at LHSC, is Director of the Medical Genetics Program. Dr. Siu was nominated by her colleagues for her contributions to the field of genetics at the local, provincial, national and international levels. Widely recognized for her work with Amish and Mennonite communities, Dr. Siu is described as a compassionate advocate, committed to early screening and identification of genetic disorders in children in order to improve their outcomes and quality of life.
Each winner received a stainless steel statue, and their names now appears on the perpetual plaques honouring located in the President’s Gallery at Victoria and University hospitals.
Fore more photos from the ceremony and reception, check out our Facebook album.
In front of the President’s Gallery at University Hospital, LHSC President and CEO Murray Glendining is joined by the 2016 President’s Awards recipients: (back row, from left) Sal Treesh (Living Our Core Values – How We Work Together), Dr. Brent Lanting, and Dr. James Howard (Innovation); (bottom row, from left) Shirley Woodfield (Living Our Core Values – How We Serve Our Patients), Linda Kuska (Community Service), Heidi Braaksma (Leadership), and Dr. Victoria Siu (Physician Leadership).