Speech-Language Pathologist, University Hospital
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Communication Disorders – Western University
- M.Cl.Sc. Speech-Language Pathology – Western University
Professional Interest Area:
- Swallowing disorders in the neurological population
- College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO) Mentor
- Clinical Educator – Western University, London, ON
- Co-chair of the Clinical Neurosciences (CNS) Continuous Quality Improvement Council (2012-2016) at LHSC
- Inter-professional Stroke Team Member
- Southwestern Ontario S-LP Stroke Strategy Network Member
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) National Forum, Orlando, Florida (December 2015)
- Trained in use of Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) (2013)
- Trained in use of standardized Modified Barium Swallow study analysis (MBSImp) (2013)
- Dysphagia Research Society 20th Annual Meeting, Toronto, ON (March 2012)
- Aphasia Summer School, Venice, Italy (September 2011)
- Alpha FIM credentialed (July 2011)
- Dysphagia Research Society 18th Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA (March 2010)
- Brain Dissection and Neuroscience, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI (August 2009)
- Crucial Conversations Training Module, London Health Sciences Centre (2008)
- Dysphagia Research Society 16th Annual Meeting, Isle of Palms, SC (March 2008)
- Radiation Safety Training (July 2006)
- Best Practice and Conduct in Videofluoroscopic Evaluation of Swallowing, Toronto (February 2006)
- Tracheostomy and Ventilator Dependency: Management of Breathing, Speaking and Swallowing in Adults (October 2003)
- Dysphagia Screening in Stroke – Measuring the Compliance with Best Practice Recommendations, Penelope Letsos, M.Cl.Sc., S-LP and Lynda Ryall-Henke, RN, B.Sc.N. Accepted poster presentation at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) National Forum, Orlando, Florida (December 2015).
- School of Physiotherapy -Western University. "Interprofessional Management of Acute Stroke" Penney Letsos, M.Cl.Sc., S-LP (March 2015)
- School of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Western University - Speech-Language Pathology Dysphagia Course - Case Presentation on the Management of Swallowing in Acute Stroke (April 2015)
- It’s Not a Hard Pill to Swallow: Implementing a Bedside Swallowing Screen for Acute-Stroke Care Ryall-Henke, Lynda and Letsos, Penelope. Poster presentation at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) National Forum, Orlando, Florida (December 2013).
- Poster presentation at the LHSC 5th Annual Quality and Patient Safety Summit, “Oral Care Best Practice for Clinical Neurosciences Program”(May 16, 2012)
- Poster presentation at the Stroke Collaborative, Toronto, Ontario “Implementation of an Oral Health Assessment Tool in an Acute Care Setting”, (October 15, 2012)
- More than just a simple swish and spit: Implementation of Oral Care best practice in Clinical Neurosciences. Letsos P, Ryall-Henke L, Beal J, and Tomaszewski G. (2012) Canadian Journal of Nursing Leadership Special Issue: Continuous Quality Improvement Councils. p 34-42. 2031
- Theurer J, Czachorowski K, Stanbouly S, South A, Fisher J, Letsos P, McCallum C, Teasell R, Hachinski V, Martin R. Spontaneous Swallowing Rates in Health and Stroke. Paper presented at the Dysphagia Research Society 18th Annual Meeting, March 2010.
- Martin R, Theurer J, Czachoroswki K, Stanbouly S, South A, Fisher J, McCallum C, Letsos P, Teasell R, Hachinski V. Effects of Oropharyngeal Air-Pulse Parameters on Dry Swallowing Rates in Patients with Dysphagia Following Stroke. Paper presented at the Dysphagia Research Society 18th Annual Meeting, arch 2010.
- Martin RE, Letsos P, Taves DH, Inculet RI, Johnston H and Preiksaitis HG: Oropharyngeal Dysphagia in Esophageal Cancer Before and After Transhiatal Esophagectomy. Dysphagia 16(1): 23-31, 2001
- Martin RE, Letsos P, Taves DH, Inculet RI, Johnston H and Preiksaitis HG Comparison of Swallow-Related Hyoid Movement Before and After Transhiatal Esophagectomy, Paper presented at the Sixth Annual Scientific Meeting of the Dysphagia Research Society, October 1997.
- Martin R.E., Inculet, R.I., Taves, D., Letsos P, Johnston, H., and Preiksaitis, H.G. Oropharyngeal Dysphagia in Patient with Cancer of the Esophagus: Effects of Surgical Resection. Gastroenterology 112: A783, 1997.
- Martin, R.E., Inculet, R.I., Taves, D., Preiksaitis, H., Johnston, H., and Letsos P. Oropharyngeal Dysphagia in Esophageal Carcinoma. Dysphagia 12(2): 116, Spring 1997
- Invited speaker: Canadian Centre for Aging and Activity - "Restorative Care - The Best YOU Can Be" - "Safe and Effective Dining Strategies" (February 18, 2011)
- Invited Speaker: 1st Annual Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy Education Day, LHSC (September 18, 2010)
- Invited Speaker: Muscular Dystrophy London Local Chapter Meeting (November 4, 2009)
339 Windermere Road,
London, ON Canada N6A 5A5
519-685-8500, ext. 33517