Why Work Here?
What LHSC Has to Offer
Commitment to Patient Care
- Equal treatment for all patients
- Nurse to patient ratios that are best practice
- Strong nursing leadership and effective nurse-physician collaboration
- Nursing Professional Practice Council
- All new nurses have an experienced preceptor and are given extensive orientation
- State of the art technology
- Unique offerings in each patient care program. See Clinical Programs on the Nursing website for descriptions.
- Flexible Work Arrangements: Full Time, Reduced Full Time, Job Share, Part Time, Casual, Weekend Scheduling and Self Scheduling
Commitment To Our Employees, Physicians, and Volunteers
- LHSC will attract and retain the best people.
- LHSC will provide a safe and healthy environment that inspires teamwork, respect for the individual, collaboration, and professional development.
- LHSC creates an environment where valuing people is not just something that we talk about, but something that we do!
- Situated in beautiful London, Ontario, the "Forest City", LHSC offers its staff and physicians the benefits of working at a leading edge healthcare facility combined with the advantages of modern suburban living. London is located in the heart of Southwestern Ontario, a short drive to sandy beaches, the renowned Stratford Festival, and the Greater Toronto Area.
- The University of Western Ontario and Fanshawe College are only two of the many educational institutions situated in London as well as internationally known Research facilities
- Many natural areas are considered environmentally significant on a local, regional, provincial or even national scale. In addition to the natural areas, London also features approximately 22 kilometers of paved bike paths along the Thames River.
Compensation and Benefits and Programs for Employees
In addition to offering competitive salaries, LHSC also offers the following programs:
- Leave programs such as pregnancy/parental and top-up benefits for qualifying staff, Emergency Leave, Compassionate Leave, Sabbatical Leave, Bereavement Leave
- 12 Paid holidays per year. Premium pay for work on holidays
- Canadian Government programs like EI, CPP & Public Health (OHIP)
- Group RRSP
- Home and Auto
- State of the art time and attendance and payroll system
- Life Insurance
- Canada Savings Bonds
- Scholarship Programs open to all employees
- Scholarship Program open to children of employees
- Bursary Programs for Nursing
- Internship Programs. Offer enhanced orientation programs for key clinical areas
- In-House Training Programs. Many classroom-based training programs in areas such as clinical and competency skills development, and leadership and management training are offered.
- Events such as lectures are a part of the learning opportunities available. Schedules are published annually and updated throughout each year.
- New Employee Orientation
Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
Supporting the health of our employees is very important to us. The EFAP is a program available through LHSC to all of our employees and their family at no cost. Individual, Couple and Family Counseling is available for a wide range of issues:
• Grief & loss
• Stress overload
• Anger management
• Alcohol & drug use
• Marital, couple
• Violence, abuse
Informal Mentorship Program
One of the increasingly popular methods used to retain and develop key talent by organizations is to develop mentoring programs. We believe that mentoring offers staff new to LHSC, staff experiencing a move within the organization, or staff looking to learn more about the roles they are presently in - the solid foundation needed in order to feel comfortable and confident in their career.
Health and Wellness Programs
- Various programs through Occupational Health and Safety Services. OHSS is committed to providing and maintaining a healthy and safe workplace for employees and is dedicated to promoting good health practices for our employees and a positive safety culture for all persons carrying on activities in the organization.
- Health and Safety Committee
- Charitable Participation Opportunities
- On-site Physiotherapy Services
- Breast Screening Initiative
Health Sciences Library
The Health Sciences Library holds specialized collection in Nursing, Allied Health and Health Administration and is accessible24/7. Remote access with username and password to University of Western Ontario digital resources for Medical Care, Teaching and Research and for selected Nursing Teaching and Research positions. Six full-time Librarians dedicated to clinical programs to assist with evidence-based practice, health education and research/ innovations.
Effective June 2011 LHSC introduced a 12-month on-site fitness pilot project for employees. The project was moved to a permanent program in May 2012.
Qualified fitness instructors lead weekday activities including noon-hour walking programs, running programs and indoor and outdoor group exercise classes at all three hospital sites. All programs are 30 minutes in length and free for employees. Specialized classes and team building activities for groups of 10 or more will also be accommodated upon request. As part of our "Front line workers - we come to you" campaign, a personal trainer will come to your department, unit or workshop to provide a relaxing or energizing stretch break during your work day, training program or before a day of surgery. Customized stretching or exercise programs can be designed for individual departments. In addition, on-site individual personal training and massage therapy is available to staff at a discounted rate.
Show your I.D. and receive hundreds of discounts at local restaurants, businesses and stores including real estate, lawn care, orthotics and travel.
Services and Conveniences
- Banking: ATMs and Credit Union on site
- Sanctuaries at both VH and UH available to all for prayer, meditation and quiet reflection, as well as spiritual care available 24/7
- Gift Shop
- On-site Pharmacies at VH and UH
- Tim Hortons and cafeterias available at VH and UH
Opportunity for Involvement
- LHSC Staff are able to participate on many different interdisciplinary committees as well as contribute to our shared leadership model through program-specific unit councils.
Awards and Recognition
- Patient Centered Care Award
- Letters for Excellence in Scholarly Practice Awards
- Employee Service Awards
- 5 distinct Scholarship and Bursary awards offered annually to LHSC staff and/or family members