INTENSIVE CARE UNIT- UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL
ICU is a 38 bed unit with 2 patient care zones:
- Cardiac Surgery Recovery Unit (CSRU), where patients are cared for following cardiac surgery
- Medical-Surgical ICU which supports transplant, neurosurgery, general medicine and surgery.
Average length of stay: 4-6 days.
Number of beds: 38 total = 14 CSRU, 24 Med/Surg.
Manager, Coordinator, Clnical Nurse Specialist, Nurse Practitioner, Clinical Educator, Physiotherapists, Clinical Nutritionist, Social Worker, Pharmacist, Intensivists with specialty background in Anesthesia, Respiratory and Endocrinology, Cardiac Anesthesia and Critical Care.
Nurse to patient ratio: 1:1, 1:2
Hospital Site: University Hospital –Level 2
- 12 hour shifts (0730 – 1945, 1930 – 0745)
- Master schedule of 2 days, 2 nights with 5 off
- Regular Part time master schedules
- Minimum of 1-2 years of acute surgical or medical experience or previous critical care experience
- BCLS, ACLS, Basic ECG interpretation, any critical care course(s)
- 10-12 week orientation program (theory and clinical)
- Skills fairs are provided for staff on an annual basis
- Annual review test
- 12 hours paid educational time, funding available from Education Committee and
- CACCN, CCR-Net, CNA, RNAO, CCCN
- Surgical Clinical Business Unit web site
- Internal ICU website available for all staff with program policies and other useful