- local infection of the dermis and subcutaneous tissue characterized by spreading redness, swelling and pain. 2 Cellulitis often occurs on limbs and is well demarcated. Ulcers can be the primary cause of the cellulitis or secondarily caused by the edema.
Goals of treatment:
- to rid the area of infection using systemic antibiotics or topical treatment.
- to heal the ulcer
Things to keep in mind:
- these wounds can be very painful, ensure that the patient is medicated prior to dressing changes.
- monitor the demarcation by marking and dating the skin so increases and decreases in infection can be noted subjectively.
- Or: just use Mepitel, cover with gauze or adb pads, wrap with Kling and change as needed (when there is strike-through on the abd pads). Change the Mepitel q 14 days or PRN
* All suggested treatments and dressings in this web site were evidence based choices by the authors and by no means represent the only dressing option available.
return to Example Wounds & Dressings