Deep Wound with Tunneling
- This wet wound extends down to the bone and has an 8 cm tunnel at 2 o'clock
Goals of treatment:
- to rule out osteomyelitis
- to protect area from further breakdown
Things to keep in mind:
- measure tunneling and document (using clock face for direction)
- remove or prevent pressure on the area
- pain management with dressing changes
- maximize nutrition and hydration
- irrigate well in wound and tunnel with NS
- lightly pack this wound (including tunnel) with Mesalt ribbon, layer Aquacel
- cover with Alldress or abdominal pad and tape, change OD.
If this wound were infected:
- systemic antibiotics would likely be required
- swab wound (including tunnel) to determine bacteria
- the suggested dressing* would be to as above, OR
- lightly pack the wound with Iodosorb on NuGauze ribbon,
- cover with Alldress or gauze and abd pad & change q 2 days or prn.
* All suggested treatments and dressings in this web site were evidence based choices by the authors and by no means represent the only dressing option available.
return to Example Wounds & Dressings