|About Us||Patients, Families & Visitors||For Health Professionals||Careers||Research & Training||Ways to Give|
Victoria Hospital, Zone E - 5th floor 300 wing
Clinic appointments are once every three to five months or more often if needed.
Clinics are held on Tuesdays. You will see the team members and we will review your care and answer any questions you may have. The physician will complete a physical assessment and listen to your lungs. You will receive your return appointment from Dr. Lewis ’s secretary via mail.
- You will be asked to complete a questionnaire that will give us a general overview of how your health has been since the last clinic visit. If you prefer to do these prior to your clinic appointment please print off a copy of the questionnaire and bring it with you that day.
- We will collect a sputum sample or throat swab from you each time, to determine what organisms (germs) may be growing in your mucus and if necessary to treat them with the appropriate medication.
- For each visit you will undergo a breathing test that allows us to monitor your lung function and detect declines in your lung health.
- At least once a year, at your clinic visit, you will be asked to complete blood work and a chest X-ray. This is to monitor your vitamin levels, ensure you are not developing liver disease and are able to fight off infection. The chest X-ray is done so that we can monitor for the chronic changes that occur in CF.
- Once a year we will arrange for you to have an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) completed. This monitors for Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes (CFRD). This will be done between clinic visits.
- You will also have a Bone Mineral Density (BMD) done every year or two. This test shows us how strong your bones are and whether or not we need to add any more vitamin D or calcium supplements. It can detect the development of osteopenia and osteoporosis – thinning of the bones before bone fractures occur.
The Adult CF Clinic is located at Victoria Hospital at 800 Commissioners Road East in London. It is in Zone E, 5th floor, 300 wing. Site map of Victoria Hospital.
Medications are to be picked up at the out-patient pharmacy in the Zone B tower at Victoria Hospital on Commissioners Rd. and Wellington. The Victoria Hospital out-patient pharmacy closes at 6 pm.