May 8, 2003
Communications Consultant, LHSC
519-685-8500, ext. 77642
LHSC to increase visitor access for Mother's Day only
(LONDON, Ontario) In recognition of Mother's Day, London Health Sciences Centre will revise it's visitor restrictions for one day only. The following changes are being made for Sunday, May 11:
- Inpatients will be permitted two visitors instead of one during the hours of 1 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- Patients will provide the names of the two chosen visitors to the hospital prior to Sunday and only those individuals will be permitted entry upon passing the screening tool at the patient/visitor entrance
- At least one of the two visitors must be more than 14 years old
LHSC is also making an exception to the no flowers and gifts restriction for Mother's Day. On both Saturday and Sunday, flowers and gifts with the patients name and room number clearly identified may be dropped off at the Patient/Visitor entrances between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Extra staff has been brought in to ensure that these gifts and flowers are delivered. The Patient/Visitor entrances are as follows:
Weekend Patient/Visitor Entrances
- University Campus: 339 Windermere Rd. main doors
- South Street Site: 375 South Street Admitting entrance at Colborne & Nelson
- Victoria Campus: 800 Commissioners Rd. E., Ivey Institute entrance
Beginning Monday, LHSC will revert back to the no flowers/gifts restriction. This restriction is necessary because we do not have the staffing levels required to make these deliveries given the extra duties required with door screening at all three sites and with assisting patients in getting to and from appointments in the hospital.
"We recognize the significance of Mother's Day and consider this decision an appropriate balance between meeting the needs of our patients while maintaining necessary infection control precautions to protect our staff and patients," says Margaret Nish, Executive Vice-President Clinical Care and Academic Affairs.
A complete list of visitor restrictions is available on the hospital's internet site, www.lhsc.on.ca and on our Community Line, 519-685-8500, ext. 50150.