A health record is comprised of:
- Personal information (e.g. name, date of birth, gender, address, and extended health insurance numbers).
- Personal health information (e.g. Health Card Number, information relating to previous health problems, diagnosis, the record of your visits to the hospital and what health care we provide to you during those visits).
This information can be gathered and stored in several ways:
- A hard copy hospital chart maintained by Health Records
- An electronic patient record
- Documents created and stored in patient care areas and private offices
- Diagnostic images and reports
- Lab specimens and reports
Retention of your Health Record
Retention of health records is governed by Ontario law (Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004). The Health Information Management department oversees the secure storage and management of your hospital health record.