March 27, 2014
On Saturday, March 29, 2014 at 8:30pm (local time), join millions of people across the world and switch off your lights for one hour in observance of Earth Hour.
Recognizing the vital link between health care and the environment, London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) has pursued energy conservation and sustainability for more than 40 years and is a founding member of the Chester Network – a growing association of hospitals across Canada helping employees to become more energy efficient, at work and at home.
Through its energy efficiency projects LHSC has saved more than $3 million in energy costs and reduced annual greenhouse gas emissions by more than eight million kg since 2001. Departments at LHSC have accepted challenges that have saved a measured result of 14.1 per cent of their electricity usage at the hospitals.
LHSC’s work in the energy/environment field has resulted in a number of awards over the past decade, including:
- 2003 Voluntary Challenge & Registry Incorporated Gold Award
- 2003 Overall Leadership Award, Ontario Hospital Association
- 2004 National Energy Efficiency Award, Natural Resources Canada
- 2004 Honourable Mention, Project Retrofit Award, Canada’s Energy Efficiency
- 2005 Environmental Business Achievement Award, London Chamber of Commerce
- 2007 Facilities Management Award, Canadian Healthcare Engineering Society
- 2008 Energy and Environmental Stewardship Award, CCHSE
- 2011 Energy Efficiency Award, Ontario Hospital Association
LHSC is proud of its efforts to create a culture of energy efficiency and hopes the community will participated in this Saturday’s Earth Hour. Turn off your lights and celebrate your commitment to the planet!