At a special ceremony and reception on Dec. 13, LHSC’s President and CEO Dr. Paul Woods and Board Chair Amy Walby recognized 27 nominees and awarded six recipients, including one team, with a 2019 President’s Award.
“I am thrilled to recognize and celebrate the excellent people at LHSC who are recipients of a 2019 President’s Award. These individuals, whose consistent commitment to our values, leadership and innovation are making a positive difference for our colleagues, patients, and community,” says Dr. Woods. “I am honoured to offer my sincere congratulations to each of this year’s President’s Award nominees and recipients.”
Now in its thirteenth year, the President’s Award Program at LHSC celebrates staff, physicians and volunteers in a number of categories. This year the following awards were presented:
- The President's Award for Community Service recognizes an individual at LHSC whose volunteer achievements have made a difference to the lives of people in our community. Samantha Parsons is a Clinical Research Manager in Nephrology at University Hospital. Samantha is being recognized for her extensive community service work with the Red Shoe Society, a group that raises funds for Ronald McDonald House.
- The President's Awards for Living Our Core Values recognizes two individuals or teams who consistently demonstrate LHSC's values of compassion, teamwork, curiosity and accountability - one focused on how we work together and the other on how we serve our patients.
- Reuel Valencia is recognized for demonstrating LHSC’s core values in “How We Work Together.” Reuel is a Registered Nurse in Surgical Care at University Hospital.
- Dennis Smith is recognized for demonstrating LHSC's core values in "How We Serve Our Patients.” Dennis is a Nurse Practitioner in the Renal Program at University Hospital.
- The President's Award for Leadership recognizes leaders at LHSC – both formal and informal - who demonstrate leadership capabilities that make a significant difference to the effectiveness of our organization. This year’s recipient is Sonja McLeod, Coordinator, General Surgery at Victoria Hospital.
- The President’s Award for Innovation recognizes an individual or team who has demonstrated innovation capabilities that have made significant advances to the organization. This year’s recipient is Maria DiCicco, Ultrasound Technologist, Clinical Neurological Sciences.
- Established to honour the leadership legacy of the late Dr. Murray Girotti, the President's Award for Physician Leadership recognizes physicians who demonstrate the leadership qualities he exemplified. This year, the physician team from Prevention and Early Intervention Program for Psychoses (PEPP) is the recipient. This team includes Drs. Lena Palaniyappan, Julie Richard, Priya Subramanian, Hooman Ganjavi, and Laura Powe.
Each award recipient received a stainless steel statue, and their names or team names now appear on the perpetual plaques located in the President’s Gallery at Victoria and University hospitals.
View photos from the event on our Facebook album.