Speech-Language Pathologist, Victoria Hospital
- BSc. (Hons.) Communication Disorders – Western University
- MClSc. Speech-Language Pathology – Western University
- Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
- Head and Neck Oncology
Professional Interest Area:
- Swallowing, speech and voice outcomes in those patients who have head and neck cancer and treatment of dysphagia.
- College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO) Mentor
- Clinical Educator – Western University, London, ON
- Individual Authorizer with the Ontario Ministry of Health and Longterm Care, Assistive Devices Program
- Trained in use of Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES) (2012)
- Trained in the use of the Modified Barium Swallow Impairment Profile (MBSImP) (2012)
- Tracheoesophageal Voice Restoration and Laryngectomy Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Interprofessional Education Day for first year healthcare students in Medicine, Dentistry, Optometry, and Pharmacy. March 28, 2016.
- Evaluating the Impact of Speech-Language Pathology Intervention on Patients with Head and Neck Cancer. Dreyer, C., Hawkins, S., Thouless, K. and Theurer, J. Poster. Dysphagia Research Society Annual Conference. February 23rd, 2016.
- Impact of Salvage Neck Dissection on Swallowing Function in Head and Neck Cancer Patients Treated With Primary Chemoradiation Therapy. Fung, K., Hawkins, S., Theurer, J., MacNeil, D., Nichols, A., Tam, S., and Yoo, J. Scientific poster to be presented at the Dysphagia Research Society 2016 Annual Meeting, February 25 -27.
- Dysphagia Following Salvage Neck Dissection: A Prospective Cohort Study. Tam, S., Theurer, J., Grewal, A., Hawkins, S., MacNeil, D., Nichols, A., Yoo, J., and Fung, K. Canadian Society of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery, Annual Conference, June 6-9, 2015.
- Swallowing Challenges in Head and Neck Cancer and the Role of the Speech-Language Pathologist. School of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Western University. Speech-Language Pathology Dysphagia Course. April 7, 2015.
- Optimizing Swallowing Outcomes in Head and Neck Cancer Patients Receiving Chemoradiation. LRCP Head and Neck Disease Team Workshop. October 24, 2014.
- Implementation of FEES in the Canadian Acute Care Setting. Hawkins, S., Mysore-Narasimha, A., Barrett, E., and Bandur, D. CASLPO-OSLA “Energized by Excellence” Conference. Toronto, Ontario. October 18, 2013.
- Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES). Tan, S., Hawkins, S., Bandur, D., and Fung, K. Otolaryngology Grand Rounds. December 2012
- The Impact of Neck Dissection on Swallowing Function. Speech-Language Pathologists working in Oncology Ontario Network (SPOON). Toronto. November 2011.
- Fung, K. Yoo, J., Leeper, HA., Hawkins, S., Heeneman, H., Doyle, P., Venkatesan, VM., Vocal Function Following Radiation for Non-Laryngeal versus Laryngeal Tumours of the Head and Neck. Laryngoscope, 2001, Nov; 111(11 Pt 1):1920-4.
- Fung, K., Yoo, J., Leeper, HA., Bogue, B., Hawkins, S., Hammond, JA., Gilchrist, JA., Venkatesan, VM. Effects of Head and Neck Radiation on Head and Neck Function. Journal of Otolaryngology, 2001 Jun; 30(3):133-9.
- Impact of Salvage Neck Dissection on Swallowing Function, Grewal, A., Hawkins, S., Martin, R., Dreyer, C., Hamilton, S., Yoo, J., Franklin, J., Fung, K. Canadian Society of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Annual Conference. June 1-4, 2008.
800 Commissioners Road East, P.O. Box 5010
London, ON Canada N6A 5W9
519-685-8500, ext. 58435