Skip to content

Our History

In 1917, War Memorial Children's Hospital was established at the South Street site in London, Ontario across the street from what was known as Victoria Hospital. Funds were raised by the Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire to build a special facility to care for sick children in London and surrounding area.

In 1922, a three-storey building called the War Memorial Children's Hospital opened with 60 beds. It had as many as 185 beds in the 70's and in 1985 moved to the Westminster site and was renamed Children's Hospital of Western Ontario.

As a result of a merger of Victoria Hospital and University Hospital in 1995, Children’s Hospital of Western Ontario came under the proud banner of the London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC). On October 1, 2007, Children’s Hospital of Western Ontario became Children’s Hospital.

Today, Children's Hospital has 12 critical care beds and 58 inpatient beds and serves children in London, Southwestern and Western Ontario, parts of Northern Ontario, Canada and the United States.

About Us Patients, Families & Visitors For Health Professionals Careers Research & Training Ways to Give
LHSC Maps & Directions Programs & Services Media Room Contact Us For Our Employees Privacy Statement Terms & Conditions