ACUTE CARE MEDICINE 4IP
This program provides care to acutely ill adults. Patients are treated on a primary care level. Over 90% of the admissions to this unit come from the emergency department where the client condition may be known or unknown.
Total patient care is provided with a focus on patient/family centred care.
- Number of beds: 60
- Team Composition: Coordinator, Clinical Educator, APN, RNs, communication clerks, Allied health professionals (OT, PT, SW, RD, SLP, Pharmacist, CCAC), PSA’s and TSA, Medical clinical teaching units
- Average Length of Stay: 8.4 Days
- Nurse to patient ratio: Days (1:3/4), Nights (1:6/7)
- Hospital Site: University Hospital
- 12 Hour shifts (0730-1930 and 1930-0730)
- Master schedule
- 2 Days/ 2 Nights also available
- General Medicine experience is preferred
- Venipuncture and IV initiation preferred.
- Gerontology Certificate
- Palliative Care Certificate
- Classroom Orientation
- Skills Fairs
- Ongoing Inservices
- Update Days
- Students are welcome for consolidation. Students are “buddied” with an RN and rotate through his/her schedule to gain unique hands-on experience and exposure to new skills