CARDIAC CARE PROGRAM
The General Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery Unit provides exemplary care of cardiac patients requiring cardiac diagnosis and treatment including heart surgery, state of the art cardiac interventions in the cardiac cath lab and arrhythmia areas delivered in a cohesive, cooperative and integrated manner.
The Cardiac Care Program supports and participates in ongoing research, quality improvement and multidisciplinary activities.
The cardiac program is located at both Victoria and University Hospitals.
- Number of beds:
- 116 inpatient and CCU beds
- 2 cardiac cath labs (UH and VH)
- EP lab/arrhythmia lab for device implants (UH)
- Team Composition: Coordinator, Clinical Educator, APN, RNs, unit clerks, Allied health professionals (OT, PT, SW, RD, SLP, pharmacist, CCAC), PSA’s and TSAs and Consultants
- Nurse to patient ratio: is dependent on patient acuity but on average the ratios are as follows:
- CCU 2:1
- Inpatient 4:1 (days), 5:1 (nights)
Hospital Site: Victoria and University Hospitals
- Both 12 (VH: 0700-1900, 1900-0700 and UH: 0730-1930 and 1930-0730) and 8 hour shifts
- Flexible shift options
- No minimum experience required
- New Grads welcomed
- Cardiac experience preferred
- Venipuncture and IV initiation preferred
- C.N.A. certification-cardiac
- Customized orientation program which includes both classroom and clinical experience
- Comprehensive development program including communication and interpersonal skills
- Opportunities to attend conferences
- Regular updates and in-services
- LHSC is a teaching hospital and the cardiac program values and support the role of the student learner. The program supports students/interns/residents within all the health care disciplines and clerical support staff.
- All RN preceptors receive preceptorship training
- The Cardiac website is accessible internally with links to many other websites