GENERAL SURGERY: UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL
The General Surgery Unit within the Surgical Clinical Business Unit provides pre and postoperative care for general surgery, plastics and urology patients.
Total patient care is provided to the patients with a focus on patient/ family centred care.
Number of beds: 60
- Manager, Coordinator, Clinical Educators, Nurse Clinicians, Allied health professionals (OT, PT, SW, RD), physician, PSA’s.
- Average Length of Stay: 7.3 days
- Nurse to patient ratio: 1:4 on days 1:6 on nights
Hospital Site: University Hospital: Level 8
- 12 hour shifts (0730-1930 and 1930-0730)
- Self Scheduling, Master rotation
- 2 years general surgery experience Preferred
- Customized orientation which includes both classroom and clinical experiences
- Annual General Surgery Conference
- Regular unit in-services
- Continuing Education Calendar
- BCLS certification
- Wound care
- Unit council
- Student consolidation experience provided for 4-5 students
- Clinical experience for year 2 and 4 annually
- Clinical experience for Allied health i.e. Dietician, PT, OT
- Surgical Care website is accessible internally
- CCAC, Chrons society, Cancer Society, Colitis, Nursing 2005, UWO library and the internet are some of the resources utilized within the program