MEDICINE TRIAGE AND RESPIROLOGY UNITS, VH
The Medicine Triage Unit (MTU) is specifically designed to treat and deliver care to a medicine patient population with a higher acuity or an anticipated short stay (<72 hours), and patients requiring bedside cardiac monitoring.
The Respirology Unit treats and delivers cares to patients with acute respiratory disease including those requiring non-invasive ventilation (BiPap) and those requiring bedside cardiac monitoring.
Total patient care is provided to both of these patient populations, with a focus on patient/family centred care.
- Number of beds: MTU- 14, Resp- 14
- Team Composition: Coordinator, clinical educator, APN, RNs, unit clerks, Allied health professionals (OT, PT, SW, RD, SLP, pharmacist, CCAC), PSA’s and TSA, Medical clinical teaching units with internal medicine or respirologist support
- Average length of stay: MTU: until stable or if short stay < 72 hours, Resp: 8.5 days
- Nurse to patient ratio: depends on acuity but averages 1:3-1:5
- Hospital Site: Victoria: Level 5
- 12 hour shift (0700-1900 and 1900-0700)
- Rotation is the “mirror” schedule with stats built into the schedule resulting in onen week off every 6 weeks.
- 2 years of General Medicine and/or Respirology experience strongly preferred
- Current experience in ECG rhythm recognition, Non-invasive ventilation, venipuncture and IV initiation preferred
- CNA Certification in Emergency, Critical Care, Cardiology, GI preferred
- ACLS an asset
- 1 week of classroom orientation upon hire along with a variable clinical orientation based on experience and need
- Regular updates and in-services
- Support to attend conferences, courses when possible
- Ongoing support for continuing education i.e. post-RN BScN
- Students receive a broad generalized education in many different medicine diagnoses and treatment regimens, familiarization with lab test analysis, prioritizing workload, working within an IDT
- Formalized preceptor program is in place
- The Medicine CBU website is accessible internally with links to Medicine at VH many other websites