MULTI-ORGAN TRANSPLANT PROGRAM
The multidisciplinary team within the Multi-Organ Transplant Program (MOTP) cares for patients Pre and Post Liver, Kidney, Heart, Pancreas and Multi-visceral transplants. Total patient care is provided for this population. This care includes, oxygen therapy including Bipap, central cardiac monitoring, pacemakers, central lines and extensive special transplant related teaching pre and post transplant.
Number of beds: 12 beds
- Manager, RNs, Donor and Recipient Transplant Coordinators, NP/CNS Hepatology and Liver Transplant, NP/CNS Renal Transplant Living Donation, NP/CNS Cardiology, Transplant Pharmacist, Dietitian, Physio therapist, Social Worker, Clinical Educator
Average length of stay:
- Liver 10 days
- Heart 14 days
- Kidney 7-10 days
Nurse to patient ratio: 2-3 patients per nurse
Hospital Site: Level 4, University Hospital
- 12 hour shifts (0700-1900 and 1900p – 0700)
- Self scheduling by the staff
- A nurse who works well with a multi – disciplinary team.
- Problem solving abilities are a critical asset.
- Primary care for patients and their families.
- A nurse who feels comfortable in a teaching and coaching role for patients and family.
- In-services held 2or 3 times per week for review of related topics e.g. pacemakers, ECG interpretation, inotropic drug reviews, infusion equipment etc.
- Education sessions for International Transplant Exam for Nurses
- Two paid education days per year.
- Daylong education sessions with a review of a wide variety of subjects.
- Variety of lectures offered by Consultants, visiting Professors and Specialist from around the world
- Student consolidation offered for 2 –3 students.
- Resume and interview for these positions are required.
- Transplant Department website - http://www.lhsc.on.ca/transplant/
- International Transplant Nursing Website - http://www.itns.org
- Certification course link - http://www.abtc.net/
- Nursing 2006.
- Progress in Transplantation
- Numerous transplantation Journals in Regard to Hepatology and Nephrology.