Financial Support

Is there someone who can help me if I am worried about money?

What are some of the programs that can help me financially?

Drug Coverage

Is there someone who can help me if I am worried about money?

A Social Worker can tell you about the help provided by government and community programs.

For more information, call Supportive Care at 519-685-8622 and ask to speak to a Social Worker. You do not need a referral.

What are some of the programs that can help me financially?

  • Sick Benefits from your work - This might include both short and long term benefits. Talk to Human Resources at your work.
  • Employment Insurance (EI) Sick Benefits - EI offers up to 15 weeks payment for people who are eligible. This is based on how many weeks have been paid into the plan, and payments are based on weekly earnings. Apply on-line through Service Canada. Drug costs are not covered.
  • Canada Pension (CPP) Disability - People with severe and prolonged illness can apply to this plan, if they made regular contributions to CPP. Apply on-line through Service Canada or call 1-800-277-9914.
  • Ontario Works and Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) - Programs are available to people with low incomes and little assets. You must first apply to Ontario Works. If the illness is long and severe, Ontario Works will make a referral to the Ontario Disability Support Program.

Drug Coverage

Extended Health Care Benefits from your work may be continued while you are on sick leave or long-term disability. Talk to your company’s Human Resources department.

  • Trillium Drug Plan (TDP) - TDP is a provincial program that considers your income and family size to determine a deductible. Once you have paid the deductible each year, you may qualify for Ontario Drug Benefits. Their year runs from August 1 to July 31. Forms are available at any pharmacy or by calling 1-800-268-1154. For more help call Supportive Care at 519-685-8622 and make an appointment with a social worker.
  • Cancer Drug Assistance Program (C-DAP) - Cancer Care Ontario is testing a new program that will help pay back money you spend on medicine. Its aim is to allow cancer patients to focus on their treatment, and health care professionals can concentrate on delivering patient care. C-DAP encourages patients or health care professionals to call a bilingual toll-free support line at 1-877-681-6551. A program professional will investigate reimbursement options for oral chemotherapy and supportive cancer therapies provided outside of hospitals.
  • Ontario Government Funded Drug Plan - This plan is available if you are 65 years or older or on homecare or on Ontario Works or on ODSP.
  • Private Drug Plan - You, your spouse or your parent may have a drug plan through work. Talk to the Human Resources department at your work place.
  • Other - Indian Affairs, military, veterans, worker’s compensation (WSIB).
  • Drug Manufacturer Assistance Programs for New and Expensive Drugs - Drug companies may help you find other drug payment options. They may also provide financial assistance. Ask the LRCP pharmacist for more information.

Not all drug plans cover all drug costs. Many plans have a co-payment or deductible. Some have a yearly or lifetime dollar limit. Contact your insurance provider for more information.

You can also discuss your concerns with the LRCP Pharmacist.

Helpful Links:

Canadian Cancer Society

Cancer Drugs – Cancer Care Ontario


Employment Insurance Sick Benefits


LHSCPatients, Families & Visitors

Virtual Orientation
LRCP Orientations
For New PatientsFor New Patients Glossary of TermsGlossary of Terms Quick LinksQuick Links Contact LRCPContact LRCP Parking, Maps, DirectionsParking, Maps, Directions Upcoming EventsUpcoming Events Canadian Cancer Society Cancer Care Ontario A Cancer Care Ontario Partner
Last Updated November 2, 2007 | © 2007, LHSC, London Ontario Canada