May 24, 2022
Each May, National Physiotherapy Month is celebrated in appreciation for the contribution that highly skilled individuals within physiotherapy practice make across the country. This month, we are pleased to recognize and thank our more than 140 physiotherapists, physiotherapist assistants, physiotherapy associates, physiotherapy externs, physiotherapy students and administrative staff who help to optimize the physical function of inpatients and outpatients across many of our adult and paediatric programs and services.
Why physiotherapy matters:
Physiotherapy restores, maintains, and optimizes a patient’s mobility, function, and well-being – helping to improve lives through physical rehabilitation, injury prevention, and health and fitness. At LHSC, the scope of the physiotherapy service is broad, and encompasses a diverse range of patient populations and conditions. Our physiotherapy staff work in partnership with our patients to create patient-centred goals and optimize their physical function whether that means working with them pre- or post-surgery, or when they are recovering from illness, injury or chronic disease. The team plays an integral role in preventing functional decline of patients while in hospital and facilitating safe discharge.
Offering physiotherapy coverage 365 days a year with staff providing quality, patient-centred care, our team helps to ensure that patients leave the hospital safely, and with a plan for continuing to improve their functional recovery.
Physiotherapy fun facts:
• From ambulatory care to critical care, our physiotherapists are integral members of LHSC’s interdisciplinary teams.
• As part of our academic missions, we support an average of 40 physiotherapy and physiotherapy assistant students each year on their clinical placements.
• Physiotherapy is active in research in the hospital and a physiotherapist was a successful candidate for a Clinician Scientist role.
• Physiotherapy started a physiotherapy extern program in 2022.
• Physiotherapists at LHSC are embedded in other roles throughout the hospital including advanced practice and leadership roles.