Ultrasound imaging, also known as Sonography uses high frequency sound waves to create real time images of the inside of your body. It is commonly used to assess organs and vessels, monitor pregnancies, detect abnormalities and assist with medical procedures.
An ultrasound can be performed on patients with most implanted devices. For example diabetic pumps, pacemakers, and internal rods.
How to book an Appointment
Outpatient Ultrasound scans are by pre-booked appointment only. The Sonographers strive to start each scan on time, but emergency patients and other unforeseen events may cause a delay. If you have any questions regarding your booking, call our Bookings department.
What can I expect?
- A booking notification will go to your requesting doctor, this will include any necessary prep instructions. If you have any questions regarding these instructions please contact your requesting doctor for more information.
- For most scans, you can stay in your clothing and just uncover the area of interest. Some patients may need to put on a hospital gown.
- Once you are in the scan room and laying on the stretcher, gel is put on the skin and a transducer is moved over the area of interest. This action sends sound waves into the body and the returning sound waves (or echoes) make a picture on the video screen.
- The Sonographer will take all the required images.
How to find the Ultrasound
Hours of operation and phone number for Ultrasound at University Hospital
- Outpatient Hours of Operation are Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. (0700) to 3:00 p.m. (1500)
- Contact phone number is 519-685-8500 extension. 32333
Hours of operation and phone number for Ultrasound on Level 1 at Victoria Hospital
- Outpatient Hours of Operation are Monday to Friday from 7:00 a.m. (0700) to 3:30 p.m. (1530)
- Contact phone number is 519-685-8500 extension. 58296
Hours of operation and phone number for Ultrasound at Victoria Hospital for pregnant patients or Women's Care
- Outpatient Hours of Operation are Monday to Friday from 7:30 a.m. (0730) to 4:00 p.m. (1600)
- Contact phone number is 519-685-8500 extension. 55329
Directions to Ultrasound at University Hospital
- Enter through the main entrance at the front of the hospital.
- Take the main elevators to the second floor and follow the signs to Radiology.
- Once in Radiology please take a number and have a seat. When your number is called, please proceed to the reception desk to verify your health information and check in.
Directions to Ultrasound at Victoria Hospital
If your appointment is on Level 1:
- Enter through building D either under or through the glass walkway off Commissioners Road.
- Through walkway, go straight to the elevators in front of the cafeteria. Take elevators to Level 1 and follow signs to Ultrasound.
- Under walkway, as you come through the entrance there is a hallway slightly to your left. Follow it to the elevators and go down to level 1. Follow the signs to Ultrasound.
If your appointment is in B Tower for Pregnant Patients or Women’s Care:
- Enter the hospital off Baseline Road. Turn right onto Dagnone drive in front of the Thames Valley Children’s Centre.
- Pass the north tower, Building B, and park in the visitor parking garage (P8) on the left.
- Take the parking garage elevators to Level 2. Enter the hospital across the glass walkway.
- Take B elevators to the fifth floor and head to Ultrasound reception.
How to access your Ultrasound images
For information on accessing your Ultrasound images, visit Accessing Your Diagnostic Images.