For Immediate Release:
December 13, 2019
(LONDON, Ontario) – Today at a special ceremony, Dr. Paul Woods, President and CEO of London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) recognized 27 nominees and awarded six recipients, including one team, with a 2019 President’s Award.
“I am thrilled to recognize and celebrate the excellent people at LHSC who are recipients of a 2019 President’s Award. Through consistent commitment to our values, leadership and innovation, these individuals are making a positive difference for our colleagues, patients, and community,” says Dr. Woods.
Now in its thirteenth year, the President’s Award Program at LHSC celebrates staff, physicians and volunteers for their efforts in a number of categories, recognizing those who go above and beyond. This year the following awards were presented:
- The President's Award for Community Service recognizes an individual at LHSC whose volunteer achievements have made a difference to the lives of people in our community. Samantha Parsons is a Clinical Research Manager in Nephrology at University Hospital. Samantha is being recognized for her extensive community service work with the Red Shoe Society, a group that raises funds for Ronald McDonald House.
- The President's Awards for Living Our Core Values recognizes two individuals or teams who consistently demonstrate LHSC's values of compassion, teamwork, curiosity and accountability - one focused on how we work together and the other on how we serve our patients.
Reuel Valencia is recognized for demonstrating LHSC’s core values in “How We Work Together.” Reuel is a Registered Nurse in Surgical Care at University Hospital.
Dennis Smith, is recognized for demonstrating LHSC's core values in "How We Serve Our Patients.” Dennis is a Nurse Practitioner in the Renal Program at University Hospital.
- The President's Award for Leadership recognizes leaders at LHSC – both formal and informal - who demonstrate leadership capabilities that make a significant difference to the effectiveness of our organization. This year’s recipient is Sonja McLeod, Coordinator, General Surgery at Victoria Hospital.
- The President’s Award for Innovation recognizes an individual or team who has demonstrated innovation capabilities that have made significant advances to the organization. This year’s recipient is Maria DiCicco, Ultrasound Technologist, Clinical Neurological Sciences.
- Established to honour the leadership legacy of the late Dr. Murray Girotti, the President's Award for Physician Leadership recognizes physicians who demonstrate the leadership qualities he exemplified. This year, the physician team from Prevention and Early Intervention Program for Psychoses (PEPP) is the recipient. This team includes Drs. Lena Palaniyappan, Julie Richard, Priya Subramanian, Hooman Ganjavi, and Laura Powe.
You can visit the President's Award website for recipient bios.
About London Health Sciences Centre
London Health Sciences Centre has been at the forefront of medicine in Canada for 144 years and offers the broadest range of specialized clinical services in Ontario. Building on the traditions of its founding hospitals to provide compassionate care in an academic teaching setting, London Health Sciences Centre is home to Children’s Hospital, University Hospital, Victoria Hospital, the Kidney Care Centre, two family medical centres, and two research institutes – Children’s Health Research Institute and Lawson Health Research Institute. As a leader in medical discovery and health research, London Health Sciences Centre has a history of over 70 international and national firsts and attracts top clinicians and researchers from around the world. As a regional referral centre, London Health Sciences Centre cares for the most medically complex patients including critically injured adults and children in southwestern Ontario and beyond. The hospital’s nearly 15,000 staff, physicians, students and volunteers provide care for more than one million patient visits a year. For more information visit www.lhsc.on.ca
- 30 -
For media inquiries contact:
Corporate Communications and Public Relations
519-685-8500, ext. 77127 / pager 17040
Call LHSC Switchboard at 519-685-8500 and ask to page the communication consultant on-call
Visit the LHSC Media web site at www.lhsc.on.ca/media
Like us on Facebook at LHSC Canada, follow us on Twitter @LHSCCanada and watch us on YouTube at LHSCCanada.