Before you apply, please carefully review the requirements and considerations for London Health Science Centre (LHSC) volunteers:
- If you are a student, please note that we welcome high school students, 16 years of age or older, to LHSC during the summer months as part of our high school summer program. We place post-secondary students year-round.
- If you are 18 years of age or older, a Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check is required as a condition of placement. Once accepted for a volunteer placement, you will be given a form for requesting the record check.
- Once accepted for a volunteer placement, you will be asked to submit a health review form.
- You can start collecting documentation for completion of the form, but you are not required to move forward with any immunizations/tests at this time.
- Successful candidates can have outstanding requirements completed by our Occupational Health and Safety department.
- Volunteer Health Review Frequently Asked Questions.
Our Volunteer position requirements include:
- Effective communication
- Willingness to accept direction within the parameters of the volunteer role
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Understanding and maintaining privacy and confidentiality
- Practices professional boundaries
- Is flexible and adaptable to change
- Refrains from volunteering when unwell
- Being empathetic while providing service excellence
- Follows LHSC’s Policies and Procedures
- Volunteers provide one shift per week.
- Shifts are three to four hours in length, and typically on weekdays, with very limited weekend positions.
- Post-Secondary Students: There are several direct buses from Western University to Victoria Hospital, which take approximately 30-40 minutes. Please factor this additional time in when providing your availaibility for volunteering.
- A minimum of six months commitment is required (except high school summer program).
- Volunteers are not placed in areas in which family members or close friends work, nor in areas of previous employment.
- A commitment to reliable attendance and punctuality must be a priority, as our patients, visitors and staff depend on our volunteers.
- LHSC looks for volunteers who are committed to enhancing the patient experience.