Qualified fitness instructors lead 70-80 fitness classes per week at four different locations. All programs are thirty minutes in length and are free for employees to participate. The LHSC Fitness Program also offers over 130 stretching sessions per week at various locations including operating rooms, laboratories, executive board rooms and public drop in sessions. As part of the program’s "Front Line Workers - We Come To You" initiative, a personal trainer travels to any department, unit or workshop upon request to provide a relaxing or energizing stretch break during the work day or on-site training program. The program even provides stretching sessions to staff before scrubbing in for a long day of surgery.
As part of our commitment to the community, the Fitness Program has raised approximately $61,000 for the community since being launched in 2011. It is an honour to serve and be a part of numerous fund raising events, including Run for the Cure, Run for Prostate Cancer and various United Way Stair Climb events. A point of pride is also the Program’s unique fundraising initiatives such as Donate your Dimes, Do It for the Dad’s and Sunset Yoga.
Other amazing initiatives from Where Wellness Works include:
- Staff Health & Wellness Booths for blood pressure checks and the opportunity to ask questions about health and fitness
- Lunch and Learn lectures at both University Hospital and Victoria Hospital on topics such as nutrition, exercise, stress management, work/life balance and more…
- Saturday morning outdoor boot camp offerings (seasonal)
- Guided Grocery Store Tours with a Registered Dietitian to offer nutritional guidance for LHSC employees and their families
- Meditation Series’ and Yoga Workshops
- Weekly My Fitness…My Weigh Program – weigh in and body measurement program
- Daily lunch time walking program offerings
- Healthy Mind, Healthy Body Series (six week clinic – introductory to fitness)
- In-House Smoking Cessation Series
- Department based Team Challenges for co-workers who want to challenge and motivate each other to work towards better health and fitness
Number of visits to the fitness program