There are many sources of information and support available to learn about Chronic Kidney Disease.
- An excellent source of information is The Kidney Foundation of Canada manual ‘Living with Kidney Disease’ The manual is provided free of charge, available in LHSC’s nephrology clinics, and the Kidney Care Centre at Westmount Shopping Centre. The manual is also available in an electronic version from www.kidney.ca. The manual is available in English, French, Italian, Chinese and Punjabi.
Audiotapes and DVDs are also available. Please contact your Nurse Case Manager or Social Worker in clinic for assistance.
- At the Kidney Care Centre, we offer scheduled education sessions each month. These sessions are designed to give you tools to understand your disease and learn the best ways to manage your health.
- The Kidney Foundation of Canada is a community resource available to you. The Kidney Foundation provides:
- Education and information,
- Peer support and
- Some financial assistance
- Unlike with many other medical conditions, you play a significant role in choosing your treatment for kidney failure. The Canadian Kidney Knowledge Translation and Generation Network has created a decision aid for the treatment of kidney disease that has been especially designed to guide you through making that choice.
- The Fresenius Medical Care is an American renal resource offering information on the emotional impact of kidney disease and dialysis.
A gentle reminder that information gathered using the Internet is not always a trusted research based source of information. If you find information on the Internet that is of interest to you, please bring it with you to your next visit with the team to identify if this is appropriate information to be followed.
For more online resources see our "On-Line education on CKD" handout.