Information for Patients, Families and Visitors
The LHSC Motor Neuron Diseases Clinic is located on the 7th floor of London Health Sciences Centre's University Hospital in London, Ontario, Canada.
The Clinic Team is an multi-disciplinary group of health care providers who have expert knowledge about motor neuron diseases. The first time you are seen in the clinic, you will have a consultation with one of our Neurologists (Dr. Shoesmith or Dr. Strong). Often these Neurologists have a neurology resident or fellow working with them, who will see you first, and then you will have the consultation with the Neurologist. This appointment may take one or 2 hours. Often this appointment will be coordinated with a nerve conduction study and EMG assessment.
If the Neurologist diagnoses motor neuron disease, he/she may recommend a follow-up through our multidisciplinary motor neuron disease team. This team of individuals (physiotherapist, occupational therapist, social worker, dietitian, speech language pathologist, nurse and neurologist) will offer specialized care for symptom management and treatment of your illness. Studies have shown that multi-disciplinary care of motor neuron disease patients offers better patient outcomes.
Multi-disciplinary team visits will be arranged every 3 months to every year, depending on your needs. Sometimes follow-up will not be with the multi-disciplinary team, but only with the neurologist. The neurologist will determine your needs at each visit.
Your Neurologist is familiar with current MND research trials available. He/she may approach you if you are a candidate. Participation is voluntary and your care will not change if you decline to participate.
For more general information about the Motor Neuron Diseases Clinic, see our About Us page.
Some Important things to note about your appointment at our Clinic:
- INITIAL CONSULTATIONS will usually involve a clinical assessment and EMG test.
- For TEAM APPOINTMENTS, please be prepared to spend approximately 6 hours at the hospital, as you will have a 30 to 45 minute appointment with each team member.
- Please note that there may be delays in the parking garage or in patient registration upon your arrival; please arrive 20 to 30 minutes early.
- Please be advised that if you show up late for your scheduled appointment, we may not be able to see you.
- If for any reason, you are unable to keep your appointment with the Team, please call (519)-663-3597 as soon as possible so that someone else can use the time.
- Please read our How to Prepare for Your Appointment page to ensure that you will have everything you need for your appointment.