After referral to the clinic, you will be seen by a neurologist and/or a advanced practice nurse*. The initial assessment involves taking a history of your symptoms, followed by a neurological examination. Previous investigations will be reviewed and further investigations may be recommended including: blood tests, lumbar puncture, radiographic imaging (MRI), electrophysiological tests (EMG/VER).
Follow-up visits may be scheduled if necessary to review these investigations with you. Further investigation or treatment/care will be recommended as appropriate. The Clinic Coordinator may also meet with you on your initial visit to inform you of the MS Clinic services. We are an interdisciplinary care team designed to provide co-ordinated services for you and your family.
* The Advanced Practice Nurse Clinical Nurse Specialist (APN)
The MS Clinic APN is a advanced practice nurse with a special interest and expertise in multiple sclerosis.
Collaborating with the clinic physicians, the APN manages many aspects of patient care and coordinates many of the clinic activities. The APN is usually in attendance during consultations and follow up visits. Along with providing care in the Clinic, the APN is also a valuable resource in assisting you and your family to obtain optimal care in your own community.
Outpatient appointments are made for the earliest available clinic date.
- If this is your first visit to University Hospital or if you have changes to your Ontario Health Care card, address, telephone number, last name or family physician since your last visit to the hospital, please report to Patient Registration on the Main Floor at least 30 - 45 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Call to confirm your attendance at least two weeks prior to your appointment date. Confirmation of your attendance is mandatory. Failure to confirm your attendance will result in your appointment being cancelled.
- Bring a list of your current medications.
- Bring your eyeglasses.
- Arrange to have someone attend the appointment with you. It is helpful to have another person to hear the information you are receiving.
- Bring your Ontario Health Care card and LHSC blue card (if you have one).
The MS Clinic is located at:
London Health Science Centre
339 Windermere Road
London ON N6A 5A5
Level 1 (Main floor)
Please, give 48 hours notice for cancellations. This allows the clinic to provide the opportunity for another patient to use this time slot.
A full report will be sent to the physician who has referred you to the clinic, as well as other physicians involved in your care. We will outline investigations, diagnosis and treatment. This is important so that your primary physician is aware of our recommendations so that they can integrate this information into your overall medical care.