Helmet Safety Program
In Ontario, it is the law for children and adolescents under the age of 18 years to wear an approved bicycle helmet.
When used properly, a bicycle helmet can reduce:
- Head injuries by more than 40 percent
- Serious head injuries by 60 percent
- Traumatic brain injuries by 53 percent
In order for helmets to be effective, they must be correctly fitted and secured.
To properly fit a helmet, it is best to follow the 2V1 rule:
- Two fingers distance from the helmet to the brow
- V-shaped straps around both ears
- One finger between chin and strap
The Helmet Safety program provides helmets and accompanying education to every pediatric patient who visits Children’s ED at London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) as a result of a non-motorized wheeled sports injury.
Helmets may also be distributed to any child who needs one (as supplies last).