The General Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery Unit provides exemplary care of the patient requiring cardiac diagnosis and treatment including both traditional and robotic cardiac surgery.
University Hospital is also the home of CSTAR, an international training centre for robotic surgery . The Cardiac Program supports and participates in ongoing research, quality improvement and multidisciplinary activities in its delivery of cohesive, cooperative and
integrated care of the cardiac patient.
Number of beds:
- 48 Inpatient cardiac surgery/cardiology beds with telemetry monitoring capability
- Registered Nurses, Clinical Educator, NP/CNS, Coordinator ,Consultants, Allied Health Team (Pharmacist,OT,PT,SW,RD), PSA’s,TSA
Nurse to patient ratio: Days 4:1, Nights 5:1
- Shift times: 0730-1930; 1930-0730
- Scheduling options: Master Rotation / Self-Scheduling (flexible)
- No minimum experience is required.
- New RN’s welcome
- Cardiac experience is an asset
- ACLS preferred
- Venipuncture / IV starts preferred
- CNA Certification
- Cardiac orientation program which includes both classroom and clinical experience
- Cardiac Skills Fair
- Arrhythmia Day
- CVT Education Day
- Opportunities to attend conferences
- Regular In-services
- On-site clinical educator
- LHSC is a teaching hospital which values and supports the role of the student learner.
- The program supports students/interns/residents within all the health care disciplines and support staff.
- Fourth year student RN’s are offered a precepted consolidation program working the schedule of the preceptor to develop the student as part of the health care team on 6IP
- Preceptorship training is offered to all RN preceptors
- The Cardiac website is accessible internally with links to many other websites