London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) is working with the Ministry of Health and several other hospitals on a three-year pilot to improve the quality of life for patients who require ventilation.
The pilot will:
- Help keep ICU beds available for those who need them the most.
- Improve the quality of life for people requiring long-term ventilation by allowing these individuals to receive specialized care closer to home.
- Reduce unnecessary emergency department visits.
- Coordinate long-term vent expertise from across the province and make it available for all Ontarians closer to where they live.
- Coordinate existing resources from across the province to support better patient care.
The pilot builds on the expertise of four hospitals that specialize in the support and care of people requiring long-term ventilation and those with complex respiratory needs. These hospitals will support specialized providers that exist within their geographies to form three hub-and-spoke structures. A hub-and-spoke model works like a wheel, with the hub being the central point, in this case a hospital leading the pilot project regionally, and the spokes, being the community hospitals delivering the services. This structure will enable patients who previously required ventilation support in a hospital to safely transition to an alternate care setting within their community.
LHSC is the West hub of the model for patients in our surrounding areas. We have effectively partnered with organizations in our region to develop a system of care for adults requiring long-term ventilation (LTV), and those 'at risk' of requiring LTV. Our vision since 2013 has been to support a coordinated and responsive system of interprofessional care, with defined roles and processes that extend outside the walls of our intensive care units and hospital, providing timely identification and transition of patients back to their communities and homes, with continued access to quality ventilator associated care.
Below is a list of hospitals currently linked to a hub site. Additional hospitals will be added as the strategy expands.
WEST HUB | London Health Sciences Centre
- Alexandra Hospital
- Alexandra Marine and General Hospital
- Cambridge Memorial Hospital
- Grey Bruce Health Services – Owen Sound Site
- Guelph General Hospital
- London Health Sciences Centre – University Hospital
- London Health Sciences Centre – Victoria Hospital
- North Bay Regional Health Centre – North Bay Site
- St. Thomas-Elgin General Hospital
- Stratford General Hospital
- Strathroy Middlesex General Hospital
- Tillsonburg District Memorial Hospital
- Windsor Regional Hospital – Metropolitan Campus
- Windsor Regional Hospital – Ouellette Campus
- Woodstock General Hospital
CENTRAL HUB | West Park Healthcare Centre & Michael Garron Hospital
- Grand River Hospital Corporation – Kitchener Waterloo Hospital
- Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation – West Lincoln Memorial Hospital
- Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation – General Hospital
- Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation – Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre
- Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation – McMaster University Medical Centre
- Humber River Hospital – Wilson Site
- Lakeridge Health – Bowmanville
- Lakeridge Health – Oshawa
- Lakeridge Health – Ajax
- Mackenzie Health – Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital
- Mackenzie Health – Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital
- Oak Valley Health – Markham Stouffville Site
- Scarborough Health Network – Centenary Site
- Scarborough Health Network – Birchmount Site
- Sinai Health System – Mount Sinai Hospital
- Southlake Regional Health Centre
- Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre
- Trillium Health Partners – Credit Valley Hospital
- Trillium Health Partners – Mississauga Hospital
- William Osler Health System – Brampton Civic Hospital
- William Osler Health System – Etobicoke General
EAST HUB | The Ottawa Hospital
- Blanche River Health – Kirkland
- Brockville General Hospital – Charles St. Site
- Hawkesbury and District General Hospital
- Hospital Montfort
- Kingston Health Sciences Centre – Kingston General
- Lennox and Addington County General Hospital
- Pembroke Regional Hospital
- Queensway – Carleton Hospital
- Quinte Healthcare Corporation – Belleville
- St. Joseph’s General Hospital
- The Ottawa Hospital – Civic Site