Consultation-Liaison is a specialized service within psychiatry that deals with the overlap of physical health and mental health care issues. The primary mandate is to provide timely psychiatric consultation to those adult patients on medical / surgical units across the city. The work is predominantly inpatient-focused, but brief outpatient follow-up is sometimes required.
- The Consultation-Liaison Service utilizes a multi-disciplinary team approach (psychiatry, psychology, and nursing) for assessment and treatment.
- Follow-up services may include: psychiatric or psychological management, liaison with the (referring) treatment team, ongoing monitoring of mental status during hospitalization, and facilitation of transfer to other LHSC Mental Health Care Services.
- An outpatient clinic is currently in development.
- Referrals are accepted from all inpatient medical/surgical units within LHSC, including internal medicine, neurology, surgery, cardiology, transplantation, OB/GYN, and critical care areas.
How to Refer
- The Consultation-Liaison Service operates Monday to Friday, 0800 to 1600. Referrals are directed to the Central Intake extension X77728.
- After hours, on weekends, and statutory holidays, all consultation requests are directed to the Psychiatry Consultant-on-Call through central switchboard.