The vascular/ortho unit within Surgical Services provides care for adult elective and emergency vascular and orthopaedic patients. Within the unit there is a 4-monitored beds to provide closer observation for acuity patients.
Multidisciplinary primary nursing care is provided in a medium to high acuity environment. The program is a vascular referral centre for South Western Ontario.
Number of beds:
- 28 beds including 4 monitor beds
- 7 beds are designated for orthopaedic patients
RN, NP, PT, OT, Social worker, Dietician, clinical educator,
unit clerks, PSA, TSA, leadership, consultants, residents, secretary, chaplain
Average length of stay: 5-10days
Nurse to patient ratio: Days: 4:1, Nights: 5:1
Hospital Site: Victoria Hospital: Level 4
- 8 and 12 hourly shifts
- 2 days 2 nights rotation and scheduling as per request
- No minimum experience required
- New Grads welcomed
- Vascular experience an asset
- Vascular course
- Monitor experience
- Phlebotomy and Venipuncture
- On staff clinical educator
- 6 week orientation program
- Regular in-services
- Unit specific courses
- Monthly article provided by staff
- Year 2,3,4 and consolidation experiences are available.
- Students are assigned to a preceptor to develop and consolidate experience and skills in the surgical field
- Vast experience will be gained to promote safe nursing practice.
- Surgical care website is accessible internally
- Membership to Society of Vascular nursing