Level 5 Surgical Care is an excitingly diverse unit within the Surgical Clinical Business Unit. This challenging surgical unit provides pre and postoperative care for ENT, Urology, Burns, Plastics, and Thoracic surgery patients. This is an ideal launching point for those staff interested in emergency and critical care areas. Total patient care is provided to the patients with a focus on patient/ family centred care.
Number of beds: 39 beds divided into three wings
Manager, Coordinator, Clinical Educator, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Staffing Clerk, PSA/TSA’s, PT, SW, RD, SLP, RRT, OT, Pharmacists, Spiritual Care, Physicians, Residents, Senior Medical Students
Average Length of Stay: Varies depending on type of procedure
Nurse to patient ratio:
- Days: 1:4 Nights: 1:6
- Thoracic monitor room and ENT observation room: 1:2
Hospital Site: Victoria Hospital: Level 5
- Core staff remain on a specific wing and work either a master rotation, 2D2N, or part-time rotating shifts
- A cross-trained group work full time 2D2N rotating among all three wings
- Casual staff have the opportunity to pick up shifts on any of the wings
- No minimum experience required
- New Grads welcome
- Experience with Epidural/PCA pain management
- Basic ECG
- Experience with chest tubes, trach care, suctioning, ilial-conduit care, burn care, specialty wound care
- 6 week customized orientation which includes both classroom and clinical experiences
- Regular unit in-services
- Annual Surgical Care Skills Fair
- Surgery: The Cutting Edge Lecture Series Monthly
- Partial support for attending international conferences
- Unit Council
- Preceptor Workshops
- Education Funds Available
- In addition to rotating clinical placement of year 2 & 4 BSCN nursing students, C5 Surgical Care offers pre-graduate consolidation experiences.
- Consolidation places the student with a specific preceptor chosen for their experience and training in advancing skill development in a safe and rewarding environment.
- Experiences focus in developing assessment, communication, time management and interdisciplinary collaboration skills.
- Consolidation experience provides and excellent base for careers in most surgical/medical services.
- Clinical experience for Allied health i.e. Dietician, PT, OT
- Internal Surgical Care website