London Health Sciences Centre
Located in London, Ontario, London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) has three sites: South Street Hospital, University Hospital and Victoria Hospital; two family medical centres; and the London Regional Cancer Program. LHSC is the home of the Children’s Hospital of Western Ontario and Canadian Surgical Technologies & Advanced Robotics (CSTAR). LHSC is affiliated with The University of Western Ontario.
LHSC’s 10,000 physicians and staff provided care for more than one million patient visits last year, including 139,612 emergency visits, 795,697 outpatient visits and 39,126 inpatient admissions.
North Tower Fit-Out and Renovations
LHSC’s redevelopment project will consolidate all patient care and teaching services at the University and Victoria Hospitals, allowing for the closure of the aged South Street Hospital.
The project will involve the completion of approximately 465,000 square feet of space for new, state-of-the-art facilities in the North Tower at Victoria Hospital, as well as approximately 100,000 square feet of renovations to existing facilities.
The finished space will accommodate:
- the future home of the Children’s Hospital of Western Ontario
- women’s care, including a new birthing centre and neonatal intensive care unit
- child, adolescent and adult inpatient and outpatient mental health care
- adult medical/surgical inpatient care
- specialized clinical laboratories
Additional space will also be provided for:
- diagnostic radiology and nuclear imaging
- a 350-seat auditorium with associated teaching facilities
- support space, including a cafeteria
Work on this project is expected to begin in early 2008. This project will run concurrently with Phase Two of the Ambulatory Care Renovations at St. Joseph’s Health Care, London.