For Immediate Release
December 11 , 2015
London, ON -Today at a special ceremony, Murray Glendining, President and CEO of London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) recognized more than 20 nominees and awarded six individuals with a 2015 President’s Award.
“This year’s President’s Award recipients are a group of remarkable individuals who are truly making a positive difference within and beyond our hospital walls,” says Glendining.
Now in its ninth year, the President’s Award Program at LHSC celebrates staff, physicians and volunteers for their efforts in a number of categories, recognizing those who go above and beyond to serve patients, colleagues, and the community. This year the following awards were presented:
- The President’s Award for Community Service was awarded to Joanne Clark, an administrative assistant in the Renal Program at LHSC’s Kidney Care Centre. This award recognizes an individual at LHSC whose volunteer achievements have made a difference to the lives of people in our community.
- The President's Awards for Living Our Core Values recognizes two individuals who consistently demonstrate LHSC's values of respect, trust and collaboration - one focused on how we work together and the other on how we serve our patients. Kimberly Schlegel, Enhanced Psychogeriatric Resource Consultant with the Behavioural Response Team (BRT) at LHSC’s Mental Health Care Program, has been recognized by her colleagues for demonstrating LHSC’s core values in "how we work together." Agnus HopeSchneider, a unit clerk in the Oncology Day Unit with LHSC’s London Regional Cancer Program is recognized for demonstrating LHSC's core values in "how we serve our patients.”
- The President's Award for Leadership recognizes leaders at LHSC – both formal and informal - who demonstrate leadership capabilities that make a significant difference to the effectiveness of our organization. This year’s recipient is Rebecca Parkes, Director of Talent Strategy and Development.
- The President’s Award for Innovation recognizes an individual or team who has demonstrated innovation capabilities that have made a significant difference to the effectiveness of the organization. This year’s recipient, Dr. Roberto Hernandez-Alejandro is the surgical director of the Liver Transplantation program at LHSC, and he is recognized for bringing the innovative ALPPS (Associated Liver Partition and Portal Vein Ligation for Staged Hepatectomy) procedure to North America.
- Established to honour the leadership legacy of the late Dr. Murray Girotti, the President's Award for Physician Leadership recognizes a physician who demonstrates the leadership qualities he exemplified. Dr. Andrew House, Chief of the Division of Nephrology, is this year’s recipient.
You can visit the President’s Award website for recipient bios and video remarks from their nominators.
About London Health Sciences Centre
London Health Sciences Centre has been at the forefront of medicine in Canada for 140 years and offers the broadest range of specialized clinical services in Ontario. Building on the traditions of its founding hospitals to provide compassionate care in an academic teaching setting, London Health Sciences Centre is home to Children’s Hospital, University Hospital, Victoria Hospital, the Kidney Care Centre, two family medical centres, and two research institutes – Children’s Health Research Institute and Lawson Health Research Institute. As a leader in medical discovery and health research, London Health Sciences Centre has a history of over 65 international and national firsts and attracts top clinicians and researchers from around the world. As a regional referral centre, London Health Sciences Centre cares for the most medically complex patients including critically injured adults and children in southwestern Ontario and beyond. The hospital’s nearly 15,000 staff, physicians, students and volunteers provide care for more than one million patient visits a year. For more information visit www.lhsc.on.ca
- 30 -
For media inquiries contact:
Corporate Communications and Public Relations
London Health Sciences Centre
519-685-8500, ext. 77129
Call LHSC Switchboard at 519-685-8500 and ask to page the communication consultant on-call