Patient population is comprised of both elective and emergency admissions. The majority of patients admitted undergo a surgical procedure during their stay. Most surgeries are related to cancers of bowel, biliary tract, pancreas, breast, thyroid and stomach. Other surgeries include Splenectomy, Adrenalectomy, Appendectomy,
Hernia Repair Choleystectomy.
Total Patient Care is provided in a medium to high acuity environment.
Victoria Hospital is a tertiary care centre for South Western Ontario
Number of beds: 28 beds divided into two 14 bed pods
RN, CNS/NP, Clinical Educator, Unit Clerk, Staffing Clerk, PSA/TSA Surgical Consultant, Resident, Intern and Clerk, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Respiratory Therapy, Nutrition, Social Work, Speech Language Pathology, Pharmacy, Pastoral Care, Palliative Care, Infection Control
Average length of stay:
- Varies based on complexity of surgical procedure
- Average is 5.2 days.
Nurse to patient ratio: 4:1 Days 5:1 Nights
Hospital Site: Victoria Hospital: Level 6
- Combination of 12hr & 8hr rotating shifts
- Master rotation, 2D2N, Part-time 8 & 12 hr rotating shifts, casual shifts..
- No minimum experience required
- New Grads welcome
- Experience with Epidural/PCA, colostomy/ileostomy care an asset
- Specialty wound care an asset
- Programs, courses or in-services that are important to the role and offered to team members either on a regular basis, or occasionally.
- Annual WHIMIS,
- Emergency Response review.
- Preceptor Workshops,
- Annual General Surgery Conference
- Regular Performance Development Review
- Education Funds Available
- In addition to rotating clinical placement of year 2,3,4 BSCN nursing students, the General Surgery unit offers pre-graduate consolidation experiences.
- Consolidation places the student with a specific preceptor chosen for their experience and training in advancing skill development in a safe and rewarding environment.
- Experiences concentrate in developing assessment, communication, time management and interdisciplinary collaboration skills.
- Consolidation experience provides and excellent base for careers in most surgical/medical services.
- Surgical care website is accessible internally
- LHSC Online Library available through Library Services