The Orthopaedic/ Trauma unit within the Surgical Clinical Business Unit provides care for adult elective spinal and non-elective lower limb orthopaedic and poly-traumatic/ multi-system injury (not requiring ventilation or inotropic support). Total patient care is provided in a medium to high acuity environment. Victoria Hospital is a provincially designated level one-trauma center for South Western Ontario catchment area. Research, out-reach education, injury prevention is also supported within the program
Number of beds:
- 36 general floor beds
- 4 Trauma Observation Unit (TOU) beds
RN, CNS/NP, PT, OT, Soc. Work, Case Manager, Educator, Nutrition, SLP, RRT, Residents, Consultants, Unit Clerks, PSA, TSA, Chaplain, Data analyst, Secretary, Staffing, Epidemiologist, Leadership.
Average length of stay: Dependent on patient acuity, it can range from days to weeks
Nurse to patient ratio:
- Days: 4:1, Nights: 5:1
- TOU 2:1
Hospital Site: Victoria Hospital: Level 4, (TOU) beds located in bay 6 of CCTC
- 12hr and 8 hour shifts
- Master rotation or self-scheduling option
- No minimum experience required
- New Grads welcome
- Orthopaedic experience an asset
- Basic ECG,
- TNCC Trauma Course,
- On staff clinical educator
- 6 week orientation customized orientation program
- Regular in services
- Funding for in and off-site seminars, unit specific courses
- Flexible scheduling to accommodate school
- Year 2,3,4 and Consolidation experiences are available.
- Consolidation places the Student with a specific preceptor chosen for their skill in advancing skill development in an inclusive, safe and rewarding manner.
- Experiences are eclectic in nature, challenging multi-system assessment, communication, time management and nursing skills development
- Consolidation work done here provides an excellent knowledge foundation for careers in most surgical and medical services.
· Surgical Care website is accessible internally
· Orthopaedic Journals