London Health Sciences Centre:
Since our first kidney transplant in 1973, almost 6,000 transplants have been done at LHSC:
- kidney = 2,789 (includes deceased and living donors)
- liver = 2,082 (includes deceased and living donors)
- heart = 690
- kidney-pancreas = 94
- pancreas = 6
- liver-kidney = 32
- liver-heart = 2
- liver-bowel = 12
- bowel = 11
- lung = 48
- heart-lung = 47
- multi-visceral = 4
Previously, the Multi-Organ Transplant Program performed lung, heart-lung, and bowel transplants. Although we no longer provide these types of transplants, the information is provided here as a cumulative list of the total transplants done.
The London region continues to have a high organ donation rate (number of donors per million population), well above the Canadian average and rivalling the top countries (source: www.tpm.org):
Currently, 1,593 patients are waiting for an organ transplant in Ontario.
During 2017, 1,269 organ transplants were done:
- deceased kidney donors = 475 transplants
- living kidney donors = 213 transplants
- kidney-pancreas = 26 transplants
- pancreas = 25 transplants
- deceased liver donors = 208 transplants
- living liver donors = 50 transplants
- heart = 93 transplants
- lung = 166 transplants
- other = 13 transplants
For more information about Ontario statistics, visit Trillium Gift of Life Network, Public Reporting.
During 2017, 2,979 organ transplants were done. Unfortunately, another 4,333 Canadians remained on the waiting list.
For further information about Canadian statistics, visit the Canadian Organ Replacement Register.