Referral and Listing:
If you are a physician and feel that your patient has end-stage organ disease and could benefit from an additional assessment, you may refer him or her for a consultation with the Multi-Organ Transplant Program (MOTP) at London Health Science Centre (LHSC). Patients may be referred from the London region, the province of Ontario, or from across Canada.
Please note: As a result of the ongoing shortage of donated organs, the Multi-Organ Transplant Program can only offer transplantation services to patients who are full-time residents of Canada (Canadian citizens or those with landed immigrant status). Patients should have current coverage with a provincial health insurance plan such as OHIP, or coverage through the Interim Federal Health Program.
The MOTP offers combined kidney pancreas, pancreas alone and pancreas after kidney transplantation.
If you have a potential patient, please review the appropriate referral form and send to our transplant team:
- Combined Kidney/Pancreas Referral form
- Pancreas Transplant Alone Referral form.
- Pancreas After Kidney Transplant Referral form.
The process for work-up assessment is similar for all our kidney, pancreas, and kidney-pancreas patients.
High BMI can pose a surgical risk to a patient undergoing transplantation: see BMI Guidelines.
Smoking is not an absolute contraindication to transplant, except in conditions of PVD, CAD, or pulmonary disease in which smoking is linked to increased mortality and can affect survival of the transplant: see Smoking Cessation Guidelines.
LHSC Guidelines and Protocols:
The following guidelines and protocols were developed by LHSC's Kidney and Pancreas Transplant Team and are specific to the care of LHSC pancreas recipients. They may not be applicable to candidates being assessed by other centres.
The following are guidelines and listing guidelines and a standard referral form as developed by Ontario's Trillium Gift of Life Network and Ontario's Kidney Transplant Programs.
- Ontario's Referral and Listing Guidelines for Kidney Pancreas Transplant
- Ontario's Referral and Listing Guidelines for Pancreas After Kidney Transplant
- Ontario's Referral and Listing Guidelines for Pancreas Alone Transplant
The following include information sheets for all common transplant medications used at LHSC. Recipients are provided with this information following their transplant. The LHSC Transplant Pharmacist is available to answer any further questions and can be contacted by email at email@example.com. For urgent issues, any member of the team can be contacted through the hospital switchboard, 519-685-8500.
The following are some of the resources provided to LHSC pancreas transplant recipients during their assessment, waiting and post-operative transplant periods. A list of all patient resources can be found under Patient Resources.
- Kidney Transplant Patient Handbook (The Kidney Transplant Patient Handbook is used for Kidney/Pancreas and Pancreas Recipients as well.)
- Patient Handbook - After Your Kidney Transplant (The After Your Kidney Transplant Handbook is used for Kidney/Pancreas and Pancreas Recipients as well.)
- Vaccinations & Transplantation - Information for Transplant Recipients
- Recommended Vaccination Schedule