A recent illness, diagnosis or life challenging situation can greatly impact a patient and their family. These changes may naturally cause you stress, your family or friends. At London Health Sciences Centre, social workers are available to assist patients, their families or any supports you have when facing these difficult situations.
All social workers, within Women's Health Care, London Health Sciences Centre, are registered members of the Ontario College of Social Workers and hold a Masters Degree. They provide a wide range of services to patients and their families across all programs of the hospital.
What we offer?
Social Workers are professionally trained health care providers, we offer:
- Free confidential counselling services
- Interpreter services, at no charge
- A safe, private and non- judgemental atmosphere to talk about your concerns in person or over the telephone
- Emotional support, when faced with life challenges
- Information and referrals to appropriate resources within your community
- Follow-up appointment(s)
What type of help can Social Workers in Women’s Health provide?
- Family or relationship concerns
- Cope with illness and other life stressors
- Decision-making counselling related to pregnancy
- Woman abuse concerns
- Child Welfare matters
- Problematic drug and alcohol use
- Grief and bereavement
- Assist patients and families to obtain financial help, accommodations or home support
- Deal with crisis/trauma
- Mental health concerns
- Post-abortion counselling
- Prepare for admission to hospital or outpatient procedures
- Discharge planning - assisting with plans to leave hospital
- Any other issue that may be causing you anxiety or distress
- Provide information and referral to community resources for treatment and support within your community
How Can I Contact a Social Worker at London Health Sciences Centre?
If you would like to meet with a social worker please ask the doctor, nursing staff or receptionist to contact us directly.
We will make every attempt to meet with you the same day, if not please leave your name with one of our staff and we will get in contact with you as soon as we can.