Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions: 

Whom do I call if I have problems?

If related to your surgery or hospitalization, please call your surgeon’s office or Nurse Practitioner. For other health problems, please call your family doctor.

Are there people I can reach for more information and support?
What are my options if I decide not to receive surgery?

Conservative treatments are available, like physiotherapy, that can provide you with pain relief, improve your general strength and conditioning and give you the education and tools to cope and manage your activities of daily living through the pain. Please consult with your physician or surgeon or visit The Arthritis Society for more information.

How common is the condition I have?

It has been projected that by 2011, over 5 million Canadians or 18% of the population over the age of 15 will be afflicted with arthritis/rheumatism.

Where can I get more information about my disease and the potential treatments available?

You can obtain more information by visiting The Arthritis Society.

How many patients like me have decided to have this treatment?

In 2006-2007, over 24,000 Canadians had hip joint replacement surgery and over 37,000 had knee joint replacement surgery (1).

(1) Hip and Knee Replacements in Canada - Canadian Joint Replacement Registry (CJRR) 2008 - 2009 Annual Report

Note:  Quebec data not included

Below you will find additional frequently asked questions (FAQ) about the following topics: