After the birth of your baby you will have time to cuddle, hold, and feed your baby. This is such a special time for you and your partner. You will stay in the Birthing Centre for about one to two hours and a nurse will help you begin to breastfeed if you choose this form of feeding. There are nurses in the Postpartum Care Unit to help you with your questions and your concerns about you and your baby. Please always feel free to ask and get help. When it is time to go to the Postpartum Care Unit, you and your baby will be transferred together to your room.
Bringing home a new baby is an exciting time, and you may have questions. Public health can support you!
Breastfeeding Support: A variety of breastfeeding supports are available, including:
- Breastfeeding home visits in the first few weeks after birth, for those having challenges
- Telephone support from Public Health Nurses
- Breastfeeding videos on the Health Unit website
- Additional online resources from the health Unit.
Healthy Babies Healthy Children: Ontario’s Healthy Babies Healthy Children program provides home visits to parents who need more support during pregnancy, after your baby is born and as your child grows.
- Public health nurses and family home visitors provide health information and support for families with young children up to the transition to school with topics related to:
- healthy eating,
- infant care,
- child development including safety and parenting
- assist in connecting to community supports and resources
To see if you’re eligible, please call the Health Unit at 519-663-5317.
Mental Health is an important part of health and well-being. Perinatal mental health disorders, including depression and anxiety, can be experienced from pregnancy to childbirth and up to the first year postpartum. Poor mental health during this time can have an impact on your daily life and on your infant's mental health. It can affect anyone in the family. For information and support:
- Online resources: www.healthunit.com/pmh
To speak with a Public Health Nurse about you or your infant, please call the Middlesex-London Health Unit at 519-663-5317, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
For more resources, visit the Middlesex-London Health Unit website at www.healthunit.com/babies