Our Personnel

During your stay with us, you will meet a number of different healthcare professionals.

The following team members and services are directly involved in your care:


When you are admitted to the hospital, a physician will oversee your care. This physician may or may not see you on a daily basis. If you wish to speak directly with the physician, arrangements can be made through the nurse, residents or the nurse practitioner (NP) involved.


A resident is a doctor who has graduated from medical school and is training in the specialty of cardiology or cardiac surgery. A team of residents may be involved in your medical care, working under the supervision of the attending physician.


The Cardiac Care Program has clinical and operations managers at University and Victoria hospitals who coordinate and supervise the clinical delivery of care on the unit. You may arrange to speak with the manager through any member of the health care team regarding your care.

Nurse practitioners

The nurse practitioner (NP) is a nurse who has advanced nursing education and is closely involved in coordinating your care. Your NP will assess you to review medications, order tests and treatments, and provide information in collaboration with other members of your team.

Registered nurses

The registered nurse (RN) assesses your physical and emotional status, provides your nursing care and documents your response to treatment. She or he works closely with all the members of the team to help meet your health care needs during your stay. The RN works with you and the team to provide information and to help develop a plan for your discharge.

Communications clerks

The communication clerks may answer your call bell at the communication desk and may direct phone calls from your family and friends. The clerk arranges tests that have been ordered by your physician. The communication desk is a very busy area. We ask that you appoint one family member to act as a spokesperson to gather and share the information about you with the rest of your family and friends.


The pharmacist reviews your medications for accuracy and also checks their effectiveness during your hospital stay. Pharmacists provide advice about medication to physicians and nurses, patients and family members. If you have any questions or concerns about your medications, the pharmacist will be available to speak with you.


A clinical dietitian will assess and monitor any special nutritional needs you have or are prescribed by your team. Inform your nurse or doctor if you have any nutrition-related concerns that you wish to discuss with the dietitian. Check with your nurse or dietitian before food or drinks are brought in from home. Our patients are on special dietary and fluid restrictions (restrictions on fluids and sodium). If you are allowed to bring in food from home, bring only enough for one day, as food cannot be left in our refrigerators overnight, for health and safety reasons.


A physiotherapist (PT) becomes involved in your care to treat problems with strength, coordination, balance, walking or breathing. The goal of physiotherapy is to help you achieve your highest level of independence. The physiotherapist will also assist you to understand and use aids, if needed. Family and friends are encouraged to participate in your treatment sessions.

Occupational therapists

The occupational therapist (OT) will work with you, if needed, in areas such as personal care, arm and hand function, and practical thinking and perceptual skills. The OT will help you organize any equipment needs and plan for your discharge. You may be asked to bring clothing from home as part of your therapy program.

Respiratory therapists

The respiratory therapist (RT) assists the physician in the diagnosis and treatment of breathing problems and the promotion of your respiratory health.

Social worker

You might need help with emotional, financial or family issues. Our clinical social worker is available to you and your family. Social workers provide assessments, counseling and discharge planning services. They also have information and education regarding a variety of community resources.

Speech-language pathologist

The speech-language pathologist (SLP) is a health care professional specializing in the assessment and treatment of speech, language and swallowing disorders. The SLP may help you with understanding speech, organizing and expressing ideas clearly, reading and writing. If you have swallowing problems, the SLP will make suggestions and explain how to eat different foods safely.

Case manager

The Southwest Local Health Integrated Network (SWLHIN) formerly known as Home Care, provides and coordinates a variety of professional support services in your home. If you are eligible, the SWLHIN case manager will assess your needs and discuss a plan of care with you and your family. Please let us know of any concern that will affect you when you return home.

Pastoral care

Pastoral care is available between 9 am and 5 pm weekdays. The Pastoral Care Department offers spiritual and emotional support for you and your family. You may wish to have a member of your faith (e.g., Roman Catholic) or non-denomination visits. Please inform your nurse if you would like a visit. Emergency pastoral care is available 24 hours daily.