LHSC is committed to preventing falls and has fall prevention measures in place to ensure the safety of our patients.
People fall for a variety of reasons, including:
- Physical health
- Health changes that may alter thinking
Your health-care team will assess your risk for falling and design a care plan based on your needs.
Fall prevention tips
- Use your call bell and do not attempt to get out of bed alone if you feel weak, dizzy, or unsteady on your feet.
- Wear secure, non-slip footwear. Keep footwear laced.
- Inform your nurse if you:
- Feel dizzy or faint when you get up
- Have fallen recently at home
- Use a can or walker at home and need one while you are in the hospital
- Have a fear of walking
- Together with your health-care team, it is important that:
- Your call bell is within reach
- Items such as glasses are within reach
- Your bed is at the appropriate height
- The environment is clean and clear of obstacles
- You receive the assistance you need when walking to the bathroom