Youth Indigenous Wellness Consultant
Nicole Yawney, MSW RSW 837725
Saulteaux member of Fishing Lake First Nation, Treaty 4
Anin/Boozhoo/Atelihai/Tanshi /Hello, Indigenous community members! The Youth Indigenous Wellness Consultant supports mental health and cultural wellness for all Indigenous kids at Children’s Hospital. The Youth Wellness Consultant works with youth 1:1 in a supportive role surrounding mental health and cultural wellness.
The consultant bridges traditional ways of knowing & western approaches to healing.
- 1:1 mental health visit’s for children and youth ages 0-18 in children’s hospital in your active engagement in care (inpatient/outpatient).
- Provide Indigenous children's books, fidget animals, and smudge kits.
- Braid cultural wellness: talking and healing circle, ribbon skirts, ribbon shirts, dreamcatchers, beadwork, painting, art, and games.
- Liaison and advocate between patients, families, and, care-teams.
- Provide consultation to clinical staff/teams with a cultural and trauma-informed lens for Indigenous patients and families.
- Facilitate access to the Kenwite’:ne Healing Space at Victoria site, traditional medicines, connection to elders, community programming, and ceremony.
Self-referrals are accepted by email or phone
- Visit Jordan’s Principle web page.