London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) is responsible for personal health information under its control and is committed to a high standard of privacy for their information practices. The hospital has adopted the 10 principles set out in the Ontario Privacy legislation - the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA).
At LHSC, we respect our patient's rights regarding their health information, including your right to:
- Consent or refuse collection, use and disclosure of personal health information (PHI).
- Access your PHI and to make requests to correct your PHI.
- Notified if your PHI is accessed inappropriately and request an audit
- Know to whom your PHI has been disclosed.
- Challenge the hospital’s compliance with privacy laws.
LHSC's Privacy Office was established to be a resource for privacy issues and it provides the following services:
- Advocate for patient and staff privacy within the organization.
- Act as the privacy experts.
- Facilitate implementation of privacy laws and principles.
- Conduct internal audits of health records and the organization’s processes to ensure compliance.
- Develop privacy related policies and processes.