Youth Indigenous wellness is available to all Indigenous youth accessing health care services at Children’s Hospital.
Nicole Yawney, MSW RSW
Youth Indigenous Wellness Consultant
Phone: 519-685-8500 Ext. 52242
The self-referral form can be found here.
The Youth Wellness Consultant works with youth 1:1 in a supportive role surrounding mental health and cultural wellness. The consultant bridges Traditional Ways of Knowing & Western approaches to healing. The role also supports advocacy, self-determination, connection to the healing space, that is located on site, and community resources supporting mental health.
The Indigenous Wellness Consultant provides a number of services for Indigenous youth and their families, including:
- 1:1 mental wellness support for youth
- Support before, during and after clinical appointments
- Support youth in their active engagement in care
- Access to the Healing Space Advisor, traditional healing & ceremony
- Access to Indigenous children books and craft materials while in hospital
- Information and education in a culturally-sensitive manner
- Liaison and advocate between the care team, patients and families
- Linking patients and families to community resources
- Working closely with Indigenous communities